From the 1973 edition of Hal Lindsey’s book (There’s A New World Coming) we find the following list of signs of these times leading to the biblical period known as the tribulation—a.k.a. Great Tribulation, Time of Jacob’s Trouble, Day of the Lord. After the following block quote, we can make a few added comments to update this list … but please note how remarkable this listing truly is, from from over forty years ago, in light of recent events from the year 2000 to the present!
“Many of these predicted signs are amplified in various chapters of the Book of Revelation. Here I’m simply going to list them to get them focused in our minds as a group.
1. The return of the dispersed Jews to Israel to become a nation again in 1948.
2. The Jews’ recapture of the Old City of Jerusalem in the 1967 Arab-Israeli War.
3. The rise of Russia as a powerful nation and enemy of Israel.
4. The Arab confederation against the new State of Israel.
5. The rise of a military power in the Orient that can field an army of 200 million soldiers. (Red China alone boasts that she has this number of troops!)
6. The revival of the old Roman Empire in the form of a ten-nation confederacy.
(I believe the European Common Market is ultimately going to be this power.)
7. The revival of the dark occultic practices of ancient Babylon.
8. The unprecedented turn to drugs.
9. The increase of international revolution.
10. The increase of wars.
11. The increase of earthquakes.
12. The increase of famines through the population explosion.
13. The coming of plagues.
14. The increase of pollution.
15. The departure of many Christian churches from the historic truths of Clnistianity.
16. The move toward one-world religion.
17. The move toward a one-world government.
18. The decline of the United States as a major world power.
19. The increase in lawlessness.
20. The decline of the family unit.”
For number 3 it seems almost prophetic in its own right that Russia during 1973 was far different as the USSR, but even today the Russia we see is even now still trending against Israel.
We are left uncertain about point 5 because the biblical text may not be speaking of a literal human army from China, but all the same, today China factors into a shifting global power structure that plays right into point number 18.
For 6, we note that many followed this prediction about Europe, but the biblical text speaks of the world, not just a localized block of nations. So, stay tuned, global trade and regional powers across the globe may well be the ten kingdoms spoken of in the scriptural text and that may parallel a global empire like that of ancient Rome.
Point 8, both pharmaceuticals, extensive use of opioids for pain relief and addictions of same, as well as legalization and broad use of marijuana—aside from continued heroin and crack usage … all this exists today well above the levels of abuse in 1973.
Climate change, no matter the source or reason, now brings increasing floods and droughts, all of which damage the global harvests (point 12).
Point 15, the recent acceptance of behaviors and changes in church policies across many denominations speaks of non-biblical traits that compromise the faith and the community within.
We could write more about the listing above, but the one added point we will contribute follows:
The last book in the Bible also speaks of souls and buying, selling, and thus owning. Like slavery before, today we see human trafficking and people fleeing tyranny and strife at a price, only to find they are indentured and captive to overlords and insensitive handlers. What is this world that souls are so abused?
How do you see this list? Might these be signs of a world so wrapped in itself as to bring us to the threshold of future biblical events. And if a chronology of events is already known from Scripture, would it not be wise to consider and discern the relevance of what is described there … now!